Friday, February 6, 2015

February Crud Sets In But I'm Not Letting It Get To Me

So it's definitely February.  You know how I know?  Because I feel lousy and work is making me nuts.

That's not really true.  Because I love my job and I'm very grateful for what I get to do every day.  But we all have crazy weeks that make us look forward to the weekend.  Having said that, I'm still grateful that I'm not dealing with student cabin fever, excess drinking, psychological issues, or angry parents.  It's all good. 

But I AM sick.   and seeing that I started this post on Friday and it's now Sunday, I've spent the past two days either on the couch or in the bed.  The hubby and I watched both seasons of MAGIC CITY on Netflix and I've managed to get him excited about HOUSE OF CARDS.  And being sick allowed me to finally finish Rich Roll's book, FINDING ULTRA.  So those are some good things.  Still, I feel awful.  

Becoming My Best Self is not easy.  We fall off the wagon sometimes and get sidelined.  I feel as though this week has been one large sideline.  I have "failed" in several of my main goal areas this week and do not seem to be making good forward progress.  But as quoted in BATMAN BEGINS, "Why do we fall, Bruce?  So we can learn to pick ourselves up."



So here's how I've fallen this week - and what I'm doing to pick myself up:

1.  Finding My Optimal Body and Race Weight:
It all started with the Surf City Marathon and my post-race meal:  Chicago Style Stuffed Pizza from Nancy's and a hand-packed pint of Love Potion #31 from Baskin Robbins.  That led to a Monday juicing day that was anything but.  That led to a sushi dinner and a couple more mishaps for meals during the week.  Wednesday I ate THREE COOKIES between the Management Lunch and the Communications and Marketing Brainstorming Session that evening.  Friday I had three donut holes and I'm sure it's not going to stop because I have a killer cold and a need to stress eat.  It's not excusable to just fall apart and stop being smart.  So it's time to turn the ship and eat something healthy for lunch today and through the weekend.  I know I can get it back.  I just won't weigh myself until Tuesday morning, LOL.

2.  De-Cluttering Space
With no more cable in the house, we've found other ways of entertaining ourselves and have found some interesting shows through Netflix and Hulu that aren't just mind dumps.  We watched a lot of history channel shows this week (The Men Who Made America, for example) although we can still keep up with the current season of GOTHAM on Hulu.  The biggest thing we didn't do last weekend was watch the Super Bowl.  Which was a strange one for my household.  Granted, I didn't care at all about either of the two teams playing and I'm not a huge Katy Perry fan, so it was not a major loss.  Am wondering what life is going to be like when the Oscars roll around.  Will I be live streaming that?  Finding an antenna?  Or just going without?  Hmmmm.....

The other thing about this week was starting to feel the parameters of #Project333.  Even though it should be super easy to just pull items out of my closet to wear, this week was the first time I actually said, "wow, I hate all of this stuff".  And I know I don't really mean that, I was just really feeling the constraints of the program.  It's supposed to set you free and yet right now I feel stuck and bored with my clothes.  Don't get me wrong - I'm gonna stick it out.  I guess this week was just not inspiring.  I think we all have moments when we look at our closet and scream, "I don't have a thing to wear!".  Which is part of the whole point of #Project333.  So now that I've vented, I can move on.  Thankfully, the weekend brings opportunities to wear comfy clothes, especially since I'm kinda sick and will spend much of the weekend on the couch or in bed.


3.  Being Motivational and Inspirational for Others
This week I submitted a program proposal for the CASE conference which will take place in Anaheim, CA in October of 2015.  It's the professional association for community college development officers and my proposal was centered around work/life balance and preventing burnout in the workplace.  I've asked a former WACUHO buddy, Ryan McRae, if he will let me use him as a case study again, and he's agreed.  So I'm hoping and praying that my proposal gets accepted.  I plan to do MORE research for this proposal and really build something that I could publish as an ebook or bigger blog post later in 2015.

I'm finding that it's FUN to talk to people about my goals and what I'm learning - IF, of course, they are asking.  When I'm eating a great salad at work and people ask about it, I share why we made it and what's in it.  I talk about how it feels to be to make the shift to being a plant-based athlete.  I talk about my Productivity and Happiness apps on my iPad.  I share that I meditate daily (which I didn't do this week, dang it) and listen to podcasts.  And this week I discovered HAPPIER, another app that uses positive psychology to provide lessons and inspiration on how you can live a happier lifestyle.  It challenges you to share your happy moments with others, and you can comment on how others are living happily.  I am LOVE LOVE LOVING it!  I even bought one of their meditation series to see if I like them.  It's amazing how just little daily tastes of HAPPY can lift your spirits.  Now that it's Sunday evening and I don't see much health relief ahead, I'm glad that I could check out what's going on with HAPPIER and get some smiles amongst this February crud.

And so - that's my week.  Not a setback, just a tough week.  It will get better.  I will get healthy and get my routine back.  Damn it :)

1 comment:

AMY said...

I'm sorry you feel lousy, but glad you are feeling good about things overall!