Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Little Things That Are Pissing Me Off

This morning, I was feeling a little funky and not really wanting to be going to work.  It's been rough, busy, frustrating, and a wealth of other negative adjectives.  I've been dreaming about work alot lately - not just my current gig, but previous gigs.  All in all, while I can still say that I'm a happy person, I've been pretty pissed off lately.

What's pissing me off, you might ask?  Well, a wealth of things.  Some of them are kinda big.  I'll go into more details about those.  But most of them are kinda little.  And I wouldn't be human if I didn't acknowledge them and write about them responsibly.  Because that is something that you do when you are trying to Become Your Best Self.  At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

And now, thanks to technology, I'm telling everyone who will listen (or, actually, READ).  This started as a mild post on Facebook.   Now, it's become THIS:

1. Hondas and Toyotas:  why are most of the people in my hood who drive these vehicles really awful drivers?  Makes my head spin!

2. Movie remakes:  can someone in Hollywood just make something original?  


3. Brief internet outages that screw up Hulu or Netflix:  Because just as sure as the sun will set tonight, when Olivia Pope is about to say something really profound, that's when I lose the fucking "access point".  


4. Friends who are not genuine

Okay, time to unload.  I've been really down lately about this.  I'm not perfect, but I do try to help my friends see the correct side of me...the person who will say what they mean and mean what they say.  The person who can walk the talk.  I can also be a real pain in the ass and I hope that my real friends know that they can tell me when I'm a total asshole and I hurt their feelings.

What is it about social media profiles that make me so dang crazy about people? Why do I care where certain people spend their time or who they spend it with?  Why do I get upset when I see people attending events I wish I could get to?  Why do everyone's shared articles and opinions on said articles make me want to throw up?  

It's because we don't talk to our friends anymore.  We text them.  And email.  And post to their page.  And tag them.  And retweet their tweets.  And that's what we base our relationships on.  And don't get me wrong, I hate to talk on the phone.  Texting is great for venting, confirming plans, and letting someone know you are on the way.  But don't tell me you are pissed at me via text.  And if I do that to you, you'd better fucking call me out on it.  

Please - invite me to do stuff with you because you want to spend time with me.  Or post on my Facebook page because you saw a movie that I would like or tried a restaurant that you want me to visit with you.  Stuff like that.  That's how I know you're really my friend. 

5. Inconsistency in myself

I hate when my husband is right :)  Not really, but yeah.

This morning he called me out on the fact that I'm all over the place this year on my diet and exercise routine.  One week I'm vegetarian, one week I'm plant-based, then I'm doing induction, then I'm intermittent fasting.  When I was on Weight Watchers and lost 50 pounds, I worked that program like a mother-fucker.  I was ALWAYS on.  My goal was to get skinny and I got skinny.  So why the problem now?  I know what I need to do to lose weight.  I've done it before.  Does whether I'm plant-based or not make a difference?  Is intermittent fasting getting me where I need to be?  If not...why can't i just go back to what worked?  Is that really a change that will do me good?  

Where does commitment and stick-to-it-ness come from?  Charles really is right - when I started marathon and half marathon training, I really hit it hard.  I seldom ever missed a day.  Now I miss all the time.  Blame my dogs for sabotaging my workout.  Blame work for being too crazy.  Like residence life wasn't crazier?  And I still got my workouts in!  So this inconsistency needs to stop.  I need to commit.  And like it.  

Now what?  

6. Party-Cloudy Mornings:  To quote Sheryl Crow, "This is LA".  And I don't like June Gloom in April OR May.


7. That one 800 number that keeps calling me at work:  don't get me wrong, I know who they are.  I just wish they would stop calling me.


8. The mess in my office:  I don't know why this pisses me off, actually, because I know it's a factor of this gala business and as soon as work life is back to normal, I will have a clean office again.  Until August.  


9. Candy Crush Saga requests:  PEOPLE!  This game is no longer on my phone or iPad.  Leave me the hell alone because I'm through helping you get to the next level and you get no more lives from me.


10.  And just a reminder to those motorists out there - make sure that you yield to pedestrians.  

Done.  

No comments: