Tuesday, August 18, 2015

In Which McPeak Survives Another Week on a Ketogenic Diet

Week Two officially started up on Monday, August 10th.  I'm definitely aware that I'm going to be eating more dairy to get the right fat percentage and calorie intake.  I'm not sure that's a good thing, though, but I reckon it needs to be done.

By Wednesday, those extra two pounds that I'd gained over the weekend were gone, but my scale was being difficult with the body fat percentage.  I felt good that the extra weight was gone, but struggling with the fact that I'm still not losing weight as fast as I thought.  This should sort itself out the next time I do measurements, so stay tuned to the end of this blog post (yes, I'm writing this week as the days go by!)

My favorite recipe right now is for cheesy turmeric eggs, and I guess it's my own creation.  They are light, fluffy, and the turmeric aids with inflammation.  

Cheesy Turmeric Eggs

2 eggs
1-2 ounces of cream cheese
2 T of heavy cream
1 tsp of turmeric
dash of pepper and sea salt
1/4 cup of shredded cheese

I whip the eggs, cream cheese, heavy cream, and spices in my Magic Bullet to make them all frothy and light.  Then I put about 1 tablespoon of butter in my egg pan.  I cook the eggs until they are almost set and then add the cheese and let it get all melty.  I serve it up with a dollop of sour cream and 1/2 avocado.  

So depending on the brand of cream cheese, shredded cheese, sour cream, and cream that you use...this dish is 639 calories with a macro breakdown of 22g protein, 15 g carbohydrates, and 55 grams of fat.  If you leave off the 1/2 avocado, there's a huge reduction in calories and macros.  But since this is a ketogenic recipe, I'm leaving everything as is!


A new recipe I created on Wednesday I will call "Keto Protein Pudding".  It's SUPER high calorie, but that's because I used heavy cream.  Probably a cool thing from a fat standpoint, but NOT good for calories.  So for the day I ate this, I was already close to halfway through my calories for the day.  However, it's super delicious and a great way to refuel after a long run or long workout.

Keto Protein Pudding
1/2 cup of whipping cream
2/2 cup of water
1 scoop of ALOHA chocolate protein powder
3/4 scoop of First String chocolate protein powder
1 T of Coconut Oil
1/2 avocado

Blend on up in the Magic Bullet and enjoy!  This was super tasty and felt like dessert!  I'm going to try it again with almond milk and 1T of heavy cream to reduce the calories.  After loading everything in to My Fitness Pal, I'm at a whopping 727 calories; 18 g of protein; 35 g of carbs (TOO HIGH!!); and 58 g of fat.  Holy crap. 

Now - my long run on Wednesday morning was completely "powered by Ketones" because i did not eat anything after 7pm last night and did not eat before the run. Because I'm training with my PEAR heart rate monitor right now, I'm doing a lot of Zone 2 running, which means I'm slow until I get stronger.  But I felt solid throughout the workout and completed 6 miles completely in Zone 2.

By Thursday morning the Body Fat Percentage was working on the scale and I came in at 40.4%; and Friday morning it was 37.8%.  So that's some fun progress!  I am excited to see what it will be like when I return from the swim meet trip!

So Friday, Saturday, Sunday was all about having to eat keto on the road.  Not an easy premise.  We were headed to Mission Viejo for the Southern Pacific Masters Long Course Swim Championships!  Try packing snacks, two different food profiles, that will survive the heat and not be messy.  It's NOT fun.  Charles' food consisted of tons of fruit, water, and sports drinks; but I packed my full Magic Bullet package and bought avocados, almond milk, Coconut Oil and Aloha Protein Powder.  

Friday I did really well and managed to get through the afternoon without starving.  Had a chicken salad with ranch dressing for dinner while the others on the team enjoyed pizza and pasta (sad face).  But truthfully, what I missed the most was their garlic bread.  And I was very happy with my salad!

Saturday I was off on a 10 mile run and only had a few almonds plus my leftover Paleo Pancakes with Almond Butter about 90 minutes before.  It was VERY hot in Irvine/Lake Forest, and my run was tough.  I was more thirsty than anything afterwards, but I did manage to make my regular smoothie and that got me through until dinner.  Another salad, this time with grilled fish.  Keeping the water intake as high as possible, even though it meant sometimes filling up with tap water.  Still feeling pretty good about all my choices.


Sunday was the biggest day of the meet, as Charles was expected to swim several events.  Breakfast was another of my famous fat smoothies - I neglected to share, as well, that I brought my entire stash of Fat Bombs with me.  Sadly, I never really ate them, so they became the replacement for my coconut oil in the smoothies.  I made a second smoothie to take with me to the swim meet.  Also on hand was string cheese and nuts although I never did eat any nuts.

When returned on Sunday night, we were super duper hot and exhausted.  Donna, Charles' stepmom, was our dog sitter and she took us to dinner.  Mexican food.  I found a salad that worked for me - chicken fajita with extra avocados - but I did have one cheat thing:  a peach blended margarita.  I'm feeling a slight amount of guilt over that, but I feel as though I earned it.  The truth will be told on Monday morning.  As always. 

And the truth was in my favor.  I had to step on the scale numerous times before the body fat percentage kicked in, but I was at 152.7 today.  That's almost three full pounds down from Week One.  Body Fat Percentage did not really round out as well.  So here's the final recap:

Aug 11 - 155.8 pounds and 40.4% body fat
August 14 - 154.6 pounds and 37.8% body fat
August 17 - 152.7 pounds and 36.8% body fat

So I think it's fair to say that we are doing pretty good after Week Two of Keto!!


Goals for Week Three:
1.  Try two more crock pot recipes and/or create one of my own.  These are fun, easy, and require no heat in the kitchen (it's been pretty hot in SoCal).
2.  Increase the water intake and track it better.  Try to drink that full liter of water as soon as I wake up.
3.  Make coconut cream ice cream FINALLY.
4.  Try to log at least one day that's at the correct percentage of my macros.  This has been really difficult for me.  My carbs and protein always go over, but I'm pretty consistent at 65% fat each day.  Gotta get to 80%.


Thanks again for checking this out!  #PoweredByKetones

No comments: